Punta Arenas Climate & Temperature
- Punta Arenas, Chile is at 53°0'S, 70°50'W, 38 m (125 ft). See map.
- Punta Arenas has a subpolar oceanic climate that is mild with no dry season and moderate seasonality. Summers are cool and short (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfc).
- The average temperature is 5.9 degrees Celsius (42.6 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 9.4 °C (16.9°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype barely hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 5.3°C (41.6°F) on average falling to 0°C (32°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 10.3°C (50.6°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 3°C (37.4°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 14.7°C (58.4°F) and average low temperatures are 6.7°C (44°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 10°C (50°F) during the day and lows of 3.7°C (38.6°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 375.7 mm (14.8 inches) which is equivalent to 375.7 Litres/m² (9.22 Gallons/ft²).
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Punta Arenas you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Ust-Barguzin, Russia (Boreal moist forest biome).
Punta Arenas Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Punta Arenas Climate Graph in Metric Units
Punta Arenas Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Punta Arenas, Chile Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Currently under general maintenance.|
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Castro, Chile - 1190.6 kms (739.8 miles) NNW
- Esquel, Argentina - 1120 kms (696 miles) N
- Quellon Dromo, Chile - 1118.1 kms (694.8 miles) NNW
- Futaleufu, Chile - 1093.8 kms (679.7 miles) N
- Alto Palena Dromo, Chile - 1044.6 kms (649.1 miles) N
- Puerto Aysen Dromo, Chile - 856 kms (532 miles) N
- Coyhaique-Teniente Vida, Chile - 839.9 kms (521.9 miles) NNW
- Balmaceda Puerto, Chile - 790.8 kms (491.4 miles) N
- Chico, Chile - 716.7 kms (445.4 miles) N
- Lago Argentino, Argentina - 316.9 kms (196.9 miles) NNW